Lignières: Then and Now

Lignières: Then and Now

<     ^     >

Click image for contemporary view.

Walking up the left side of the Rue du Montilier about even with the Petitpierre shop, then turning around to look back whence we came, we see the Café du Commerce (Rue du Montilier 2, RACN 010-6456-00052), which, from the outside, is little changed since this post card was mailed in August of 1909. The attached house, (Rue du Montilier 4, RACN 010-6456-00240), is also externally much the same.

The Café du Commerce stands on the site of a farmhouse which was rebuilt in 1837 and remodeled on several occasions in the 19th century, with its present form dating from after 1872. The ground floor was transformed into a café some time before 1902, and has remained one ever since.

On the right side of the street, many changes are evident. None of the other buildings in the “then” photo still stand, and from this vantage point one can now see all the way to the neighbouring village of Nods in the Canton of Berne. As Rue du Montilier turns to the left, it becomes the Rue des Hautes-Bornes which continues to the right of this picture.

Back of post card

Map of viewpoint

The historical photograph is courtesy of M. Werner Löffel of Lignières, who kindly contributed images of his post card collection to the archives of the Fondation de l'Hôtel de Commune de Lignières.