Lignières: Then and Now

Lignières: Then and Now

<     ^     >

Move mouse over image for contemporary view; move mouse outside for historical image.
If image doesn't change, click image to toggle between “then” and “now” views.

Walking a little further from the town centre brings the southeast face of the prominently marked Hôtel de la Poste (Rue des Hautes-Bornes 8, RACN 010-6456-00055) into view. A few more years have passed since the previous view—this card was mailed in 1919.

Although no automobiles are visible in the “then” picture, evidence of their presence on the streets of Lignières can be seen in the appearance of a petrol pump at the corner of the building and a “Shell” sign hanging from the enseigne supporting the lantern (which is still there). All traces of the turn of the century hitching post are gone and replaced by a sidewalk protected by a chain and pillars. The sign above the entrance on the northeast side reads “Restaurant” instead of “Hôtel de la Poste”, and it's the same today.

The tree in front of Rue des Hautes-Bornes 2 is still there in the “then” picture; it has grown up almost to the eaves and become rather bushy.

Back of post card

Map of viewpoint

The historical photograph is courtesy of M. Werner Löffel of Lignières, who kindly contributed images of his post card collection to the archives of the Fondation de l'Hôtel de Commune de Lignières.